The Base Recipe
This base recipe will create a smooth, clear lipstick that is very moisturizing and protective. It is made from completely natural ingredients and is safe for us on the lips or skin. If you want, you can add color with the following add-ins to create a color of your choice.
Optional Color Add-Ins
- For Red Hues: 1/8 teaspoon of beet root powder or 1 drop of natural red food coloring with no chemical additives.
- NOTE: Add these very slowly as a little goes a long way!
- For Brown/Tan Hues: 1/4 teaspoon (or more for color) of organic cocoa powder, a tiny pinch of cinnamon or turmeric to get the shade you desire. :)
- For a more Matte texture: 1/4 teaspoon bentonite clay
- For Scent: A drop of essential oil of choice (optional)
What and How to do
Melt the beeswax, shea butter/cocoa butter and coconut oil in a glass jar without a lid in a small pot of simmering (not boiling) water. It should melt quickly because only a teenie-tiny of each ingredient is used. ;) :P
When melted, remove from heat and add any optional ingredients like colour or scent. To get the hue in the picture above, I used beet root powder (1/8 tsp or less), 1/4 tsp cocoa powder, 1/8 tsp bentonite clay, 1/8 tsp cinnamon and a drop of peppermint essential oil.
Once all ingredients are mixed well but still liquid, pour into the lip chap container. I used the glass dropper from an old tincture bottle. Fill just below the top as it will expand slightly as it cools. Leave to cool for at least half an hour. Store in a cool place (under 80 degrees) or it will soften.
Let me know how it turned out :)